7.04.2007

hey america!

It is the 4th of July and for the second time in my life, I am celebrating it in Peru. I was 16 and traveling with a gaggle of methodist girls and our mother goose. The day was gray, a la Lima, and smelling of exhaust. Someone, can't remember who, asked me, "Are you not sad to not be celebrating your Day of Independence in your country?" And it was only then that any of us realized, at least I think, that it was the 4th.

A few years ago on this day, I was in Seattle, watching eagles fly higher than the pines. Last year I was in Israel, feeling the Mediterranean spray, eating as much free ambassadorial food as possible, and giggling on the grass with Sarah. The other 4ths; west Texas, Wallace Wade Stadium, Orange County Speedway, Festival on the Eno.

Right now I'm in Arequipa, Peru, a diversion from original trajectories, but a welcomed one. We busslept through the Sierras, our noses frozen and our eyes red. Grateful, then, for the warm breeze and furry park grass of the morning. If the threads are woven right, we will be in Bolivia before nightfall.

I would love to hear about your 4th's. Send me some America.

Also, my amigito Jesus asked me to sing the American Nat'l Anthem and I could only remember the Costa Rican one. ¿ayuda?

1 comment:

YellArose said...

God bless my MaryGirl,
Little lamb I love!
Stand beside her
and guide her
everyday
all the way
with Your love.

From her cradle
to her schoolroom
to her office
and her home...

God, bless my MaryGirl,
my precious
one!


Su mamá tiene la memoria de abrazar una tibio, menea a dama pequeña en el Parque de Ault, tres bloques de la casa en Cincinnati, mientras la música jugó y los fuegos artificiales trabajaron la magia en el cielo.

Recuerdo también llegar en Inglaterra un Día de la Independencia con un nene en mi matriz y mi mamá por mi lado. Y nadie celebró la venida de estas tres almas Americanas.